How to Obtain an SIA Badge – A Step-by-Step Guide
What is SIA and who needs a License?
The Security Industry Authority (SIA) is the statutory organization responsible for regulating The Private Security Industry in the UK. An SIA License is compulsory for anyone who wants to work in the security industry. We at Bright Learning Centre pride ourselves on the quality of our SIA training courses. Here are our top tips on How to Obtain an SIA Badge.
Who can apply for an SIA badge?
- You are 18 years old
- You hold a valid SIA training qualification
- You have documents to prove your identity
- You have the right work in the UK
3 reasons why you need to have an SIA badge if you are working in the security industry
- You may be randomly checked by the SIA: These spot checks are being conducted to make sure that security staff are qualified to be working due to security impersonation being an issue within the UK.
- Your qualification gives you authority: When you’re in charge of guarding a space, a building, or a person, you have a certain amount of power and accountability.
- It is illegal to work in security in the UK without an SIA badge.
There are different security courses that we offer. However, to obtain a door supervisor license, these are the steps you need to take:
- Enroll in the course, either through the website, by ringing us on 0116 210 10 70, or by visiting us at one of our centers, either at Evington Road or Melton Road.
- The course will take 6 days to complete, with 4 different units to learn:
- Working in The Private Security Industry
- Working as a door supervisor
- Conflict Management for The Private Security Industry
- Physical Intervention Skills for the Private Security Industry
- Within this course, Level 3 First Aid at Work training will also take place as this has now been made mandatory by the SIA.
- At the end of the course, there will be 4 multiple-choice exams and a practical exam.
- Once you have passed the course, you can apply for the SIA license through the SIA website by filling out an application form. The cost of this application is £190. The SIA will get back to you within 35 working days.
- You will also need to verify your identity, mainly your photo ID.
- Once complete, submit your application to the SIA, you will be given a reference number that you would need to take to the post office along with the following documents:
- Original Passport
- Full Driving License
- 2 Recent proof of address such as bank statements and utility bills in your name.
Your photo will be taken at the post office which will be used on your SIA license.
Note: There are only certain post offices that offer the facility for SIA licenses.
- Once the post office completes the final steps and submits your application to the SIA, the SIA will check your application, verify your identity, and run background checks on any criminal records. If you have not lived in the UK for the last 5 years, you will need to provide CRB/DBS evidence from the country you have lived in previously.
- Once SIA is satisfied with all the details, you will receive your license through post.
- Once you are fully licensed, your license will be valid for 3 years.
After the 3 years have passed, you need to renew your license with the Top Up training.
If you want to find out more about the other security courses we do, click here.
So that’s a wrap on our top tips on How to Obtain an SIA Badge. We sincerely hope we were able to help you with the information you need at the moment. In case you require any further assistance, please feel free to contact us via call or in person at any of our learning centers!